Remove this ad

Lead

Aug 3 10 10:24 PM

Tags : :

Hi all, Im back and getting ready to start again, this car is owned by a member of the Victorian Model T club and came from Tassie. it only has doors on the left side of the body and right side is all one panel. It has uprights windscreen posts and also the rounded one piece rear end. I have seen another one on one of the National tours but can not remember which one so has any one seen another... Ray
--------------------

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Aug 6 10 11:08 PM

Re: Any one seen a car with only left hand doors before

Hi Again, the body stile with doors on the left side and straight windscreen posts are not common as informed by Peter Kable as 1 is to be found on the south coast of NSW and there could be more in NSW and maybe there is some more in Queensland as Queensland Motor Agency Ltd.used the same body, on this one we will need Mark Herdmans knowledge of cars from that state... Ray

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Aug 7 10 7:43 AM

Hi all, It would be interesting on how they are built as ford it's self didn't have body panal press that big, it would be strange that a small coach builder would, welding of flat panals wasn't done and lead wiping is an other question of the 20's as we all know how panals are joined in our own early T's, but I'm not up to speed on the later vintage T's maybe there is joins in this one but I can't see in this photo and have not seen one as yet, although I have seen a one door roadster and a photo of a 2 door tudor..... Frank.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Aug 7 10 10:00 PM

Hi Frank, It has been a long time since I saw one but I will see if I can get more photos of the body itself, lead wiping has been around for a long time and was used on vintage cars as a way of hiding joins and ford and other body builders took the short cut to save time and money by tacking the panels to the frame and putting the cover strip over the join.... Ray

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Sep 6 10 4:43 PM

G'day Ray.

Flitcroft Body Works in Warwick Queensland made bodies with doors only on the passanger side. Rod Welch of Bribie Island has restored a 1918 tourer. It was a very original, driveable car when found in Warwick in 1990. The panel work was a bit rough. Exposed nail heads were not covered by a cover strip across the cowl in front of the windscreen. Some of the compound curves left a bit to be desired. And the body was heavy. All the reasons Ford started Geelong. Flitcroft was a typical horse drawn buggy builder that transitioned over to motor car bodies.

Regards

John Day

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Sep 9 10 12:13 AM

Hi David, the car that is the centre reason of my inquiry is one of those from Tassie but a person in Tassie who knows all the ford backwards told the guy that his 1917 or 18 car was very rare and the last one in the world. I said that body stile was common but if he had the Tassie build plate then it may have some rarity about it.. Ray

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Sep 9 10 8:07 AM

I stress reserach is in its infancy with Nettlfords, but their body seems to be very relatively simple to identify and common across both the tourer and roadster bodies;

No driver's side doors
Spare tyre mounted on driver's side running board, bracket mounted through the body
Wheel well in wooden running board to lower the spare wheel
A very rounded body shape
Distinctive windscreen stanchions
Single-piece frameless windscreen

We need to see photos of the car in question BEFORE restoration to see what was original, not what has been "restored".

The lack of driver's side doors and the sunken spare wheel mounted on the driver's side characteristics are highly visible and easily define this body.

Hope this helps...Dave C.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Sep 14 10 6:17 PM

Seen this photo before, the vented doors are very similar to "Nellie Grace". We think it is an early Davies & Fehon "Deluxe" body.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Sep 14 10 8:50 PM

Seen this photo before, the vented doors bare a remarkable resemblence to "Nellie Grace". We think it is a "deluxe" body by Davies & Fehon of Sydney.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Sep 14 10 9:21 PM

That car is a 1911 or 12 with a Steenbhom's body. They were made in Riley St Sydney, they were I think eventually absorbed in to City Ford which occupied the Steenbhom premises.

Peter.

"If You think you can or if you think you can't you'r right!" Henry Ford Electrician

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Sep 14 10 9:24 PM

Forgot to mention, I have a Steenbohms body identical to the one pictured at home.

Peter.

"If You think you can or if you think you can't you'r right!" Henry Ford Electrician

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Sep 14 10 11:08 PM

Hi David, you must have some good books there, I have some from New Zealand but I have gotten rid of many of mine, its still raining here and the drive has now gone back to a swamp and I was taking the T out for a run on Sunday but that could be in doubt. I have not touched the T in a week now as time is not mine to use and I have to get the fences repaired as we now have a new horse... Ray

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Sep 15 10 6:05 AM

Hi Peter,

Have you got some photos of your car? Can you post some? Love the see the body. How did you know it was a Steenbohm?
perhaps it is time to start another thread on your body?

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Sep 20 10 7:59 AM

Hi all, The post card photo that I had posted here, Had just sold on ebay for over $43.00. wish it was mine to sell....Frank.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Sep 20 10 8:45 PM

David,

I do have photos of my body which I have been trying to find withought any luck at the moment, but I will continue to look. I know my car a Steenbhom's body because it has Steenbhom's sill plates on it as well as a body manufacturers plate. The body in the photo that Frank posted is definately a Steenbhom's body, as it is identical to my car, the small door on the top of the scuttle to facilitate removal of the coils, which the Davies and Fehon body that you posted does not have. The timber framed windscreen is identical to mine, the rear guards are the same, the timber runningboards etc all lead me to believe that the car pictured is indeed a Steenbhom's bodied car.

Regards,

Peter.
--------------------

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Sep 21 10 7:57 AM

Great news! The streamline bonnet is also different to the postcard. Even better with all of the original plates giving a data point for Stenbohm. Can't wait to see some photos!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help