Remove this ad

Lead

Aug 9 10 8:34 AM

Tags : :

How is everybody’s preparation going for the Windsor rally starting next month?

Anybody got any storys or last minute restorations going on?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Aug 9 10 8:58 AM

Re: Windsor 2010

Hi All, Time just flys by when you are not watching and it is close, I think I had better find the 13 as its buried at the back of my shed and give it a clean up and check up, it has not been used for some time now so the spiders and mice could be living in it for all I know as we found a mice nest in the air filter with three of them in it in Lorettas car and it was used each week.
Oh, to country living.....Ray

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Aug 9 10 6:27 PM

Wheels now in undercoat, prep work for final painting well underway, top coat paint matched and mixed, spray painter lined up...
Michele and the mother in law (no, not a Ford but the real person) are working on our period costumes...
Car trailer lined up....
Looking forward to catching up with all of you interstaters that I haven't seen for a while! Dave C.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Aug 16 10 8:57 AM

Rain and cold weather have negatively impacted on my ability to keep to the critical Windsor deadline. Made up both a spraying and a drying rack, luckily there is a building site behind us at the moment with a waste bin full of all sorts of scrap goodies for these types of jobs.

Managed to get a good undercoat on the wheels yesterday in natural daylight under the car port in between showers of rain. Yippee! The wheels have to be kept inside with the heater going at plus 20 degrees for the 2 pack primer to harden properly. In reality they have been inside for since last May when they were stripped and kept in a warm and loving environment anyway. I lost weeks waiting for the wheels to dry out after paint stripping, no point in repairing a swollen wheel is there?

I think I might owe my very understanding wife Michele a dinner at the end of all of this. She says "...I have wheelie earned it!" I think she might be right. Can't help the pun, but what goes around comes around. Dave C.
--------------------

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Aug 25 10 12:19 AM

Spray painter needs a week to work, another week for the 2 pack to fully harden, 2 weeks finish the wheels, mount them and prep 'Mabel' prior to leaving for Windsor. Time is running out requiring a big push to meet the deadlines...

Had a huge weekend rubbing down and continuing to prepare the wheels for spraying. Friday was a "sickie" and rubbing down from 8am till midnight, Saturday undercaoting, Sunday was rubbing down from 9am to 2am with only a break for dinner & rubbed most of the skin off the pads of my fingers that started bleeding, put more band aids on and continued to work. Undercoated some small areas yesterday, light rub down again tonight.

Dropping the wheels off Thursday night to the spray painter. Yippee!
Windsor is only 4 weeks away...how are other entrant's prepartions going?

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Aug 25 10 12:26 AM

Hi David, I have not even started with the car as its to wet to get it out of the shed, we have had rain nearly every day for weeks now and the drive in has turned to slush with water just coming out of the ground. if it stops I will bring the car out and clean it and give it a run and polish the brass but its next week now... Ray

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Aug 26 10 11:17 PM

Wheels dropped off at the spray painter tonight in a wild, wet and woollie Adelaide. To think I am going caravaning this weekend at Belair Caravan Park. I think it might be a wet & cold one. Luckily I have plenty of port...

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Sep 20 10 8:12 AM

Hi All, We took the car for its first run yesterday and it ran well, still a few oil leaks and rattles but still OK. it took the medium hills with some hard work and the Ruckstell in full use but we did have 3 adults and the hood up and held a steady 25 to 30 mph so today is pull down day and a full service, then we will be cleaning all week as its covered with mud.
With just Loretta and I in it at Windsor it should go well and I will run with the hood down for some more speed so the race is on... Ray

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Oct 1 10 5:44 PM

Hey what a great Rally!!!!
I had both local granchildren every day and they were enthralled by the model T- no seat belts to constrict them and plenty of driving.
Fire museum was great for kids- they also helped me change the front LH tyre which had a leaky valve-old tube from years back!!!!
We tried to buy a" pussy" painting at the Adam lindsay Gordon cottage but there were none in stock so grandpa saved a few dollars.
Norma spotted a camera on the road out and we found it was lost by Pauline Power(in the fire engine).
Next day we returned the camera and enjoyed a undulating run to Wisemans Ferry and then St Albans. Lots of good Model T roads and speeds(my old Dad would be pleased to see me drive at 25 mph along narrow roads) - he would be agahast to see me drive at 35-40mhp on the" better" roads....we did good fuel economy today but didn't get home in time for the grandkids to go to their regular swim classes... Ray gave a dramatic announcement about the Gambles as we left the Webbs creek ferry but this turned out to be a minor incident only (thank goodness) Michael North and Lesley also helped a car on the" other" route
Dress up day was a short run with my grandkids laughing about Gil and Larraine being sprayed by an irrigation system. We had fun collecting white mice and or rats and found the Model T games good fun, even if we squashed the box of bottles and grandpa lost his lolly!!!
Congratulations to those who dressed for the occasion- it was a great spectacle!!!.
Getting to Swanes via a lot of steep hills was interesting- weather was perfect and cars were cool according to the roving thermometer. They were measuring air temp going into the radiator not radiator temp as we thought!!!! My guess was way too high
Friday run went OK although Martin and Sue in the black speedster caused a traffic jam similar to that shown on the movie night at Windsor shopping centre
Norma and I are looking forward to the final dinner tonight...
Looking forward to Barossa again in 3 years......

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Oct 2 10 9:03 AM

May I be the first to congradulate the Rally committee on a job well done!
Great Runs
Great Weather
variety
we had it all
SA are going to be hard pressed to beat Windsor!!
take a break guys, you deserve it
Kylie

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Oct 3 10 10:08 AM

Hi frank, not all of us carry laptops and we are now starting to get home and look at what we have, photos will be coming soon but it was a different rally for me as I had my first big break down and lost the day I wanted and by friday I gave up and put my car on the trailer...
I will post what I have soon but I feel I will not be there in 2013 as from what I have been told by two members on friday night, a place to stay will be many Kms from the start as the SA members and the Victorians have booked weeks ago and there is little left in the town and and it clashes with a big bike get together.... but we will see... Ray

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Oct 3 10 12:28 PM

I was only able to attend on the Wednesday, drove up in a (relatively) modern Mercedes, had a walk round the Pioneer Village at Wilberforce and took some photos for future use in The Bent Wire, but here are a few.
I am sure more will follow.
Chris M.
--------------------

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left!

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Oct 3 10 2:52 PM

Hi Frank, I lost top gear on Tuesday and came home in low but after working on it in the dark with three other members holding torches it was fixed and the car pulled well so on Wednesday we left the start and made it about 4kms into the run and it just stopped dead, after waiting for the pick up vehicle that did not come till I rang up and found that there was not one on for Wednesday but Andrew Byrnes came and picked up the car and I and Keith from Henry's drove Loretta back to the Motel and I started work on the car, the only thing that still worked was the timer as I need 3 coils, a needle and seat, a full battery recharge, repairs to the wire harness and fix the blinkers and we where under way again.. Ray

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help